D2L/Brightspace LTI 1.1 to 1.3 Upgrade
If your LMS currently has the VitalSource LTI 1.1 tool configured, the below steps will guide you through the process of upgrading the existing 1.1 tool to a 1.3 configuration.
LMS Admin/Course Set-Up
LTI 1.3 Tool Registration
- Click on the Settings icon, then click Manage Extensibility.
- Click the LTI Advantage Tab, then click Register Tool.
- Choose standard registration.
- Enter the following information in the Register Tool form:
- Name: VitalSource
- Description: VitalSource
- Domain: https://bc.vitalsource.com
- Redirect URLs: https://bc.vitalsource.com/oauth2callback
- OpenId Connect Login URL: This will be given to you by your VitalSource Integration Manager
- Target Link URI: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books
- Keyset URL: This will be given to you by your VitalSource Integration Manager
- Under Extensions, choose:
- Once the new LTI 1.3 tool is registered, Brightspace will expose a set of configurations that are needed to complete the registration on the VitalSource side. Copy and paste this data and send it to your VitalSource Integration Manager to complete the registration and enable the integration.
Note: This data can also be seen again by clicking on the LTI Advantage Tool.
Next, create a Deployment for the new tool that was just created, either from the Creation screen or the Edit Tool screen.
- Click the New Deployment button.
- Click the LTI 1.3 Tool Registration that was created in the previous step in the Tool dropdown.
- Enable the Auto Migrate Links toggle
- Ensure the following Extensions are selected:
- Ensure the following settings are selected/configured:
- Org Unit Information
- User Information
- User ID
- Org Defined ID
- Link Information
- Classlist including users not known to tool
- Configuration Settings
- Open as External Resource - Tick
- Grades created by LTI will be included in Final Grade - Not ticked
- Auto Create Grade Items - Not ticked
- Select "Add Org Units".
- To deploy the tool, ensure that the tickbox is marked for the desired org unit(s); then enable the correct radio button in the options column to add any applicable descendant org units.
- After a successful Deployment creation, Brightspace will expose a unique Deployment ID. Copy and paste that value and send it to the VitalSource Integration Manager along with the LTI 1.3 Tool information created before.
Note: This value can also be seen by clicking the new Deployment in the View Deployments screen.
For steps on adding LTI 1.3 links, please refer to the documentation here.
Migrate LTI links
TI links that were created with the LTI 1.1 tool will continue to use LTI 1.1 until they are migrated to LTI 1.3. D2L/Brightspace allows the migration of existing LTI 1.1 links to LTI 1.3 on a course level. To migrate links, follow the steps below.
- From a course, navigate to Course Admin.
- Click on External Learning Tools.
- Click the Manage Tool Links (Legacy) tab.
Note: there are other options to migrate links via API or course import/copy. More details can be found directly from D2L/Brightspace by visiting this page.