D2L/Brightspace LTI 1.3 Tool Setup and Link Placements
Follow these instructions to enable LTI 1.3 launches in the Brightspace (D2L) LMS. The first step is to create a new LTI 1.3 Tool Registration.
LMS Admin/Course Set-Up
LTI 1.3 Tool Registration
- Click on the Settings icon, then click Manage Extensibility.
- Click the LTI Advantage Tab, then click Register Tool.
- Choose standard registration.
- Enter the following information in the Register Tool form:
- Name: VitalSource
- Description: VitalSource
- Domain: https://bc.vitalsource.com
- Redirect URLs: https://bc.vitalsource.com/oauth2callback
- OpenId Connect Login URL: This will be given to you by your VitalSource Integration Manager
- Target Link URI: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books
- Keyset URL: This will be given to you by your VitalSource Integration Manager
- Under Extensions, choose:
- Once the new LTI 1.3 tool is registered, Brightspace will expose a set of configurations that are needed to complete the registration on the VitalSource side. Copy and paste this data and send it to your VitalSource Integration Manager to complete the registration and enable the integration.
Note: This data can also be seen again by clicking on the LTI Advantage Tool.
Next, create a Deployment for the new tool that was just created, either from the Creation screen or the Edit Tool screen.
- Click the New Deployment button.
- Click the LTI 1.3 Tool Registration that was created in the previous step in the Tool dropdown.
- Ensure the following Extensions are selected:
- Ensure the following settings are selected/configured:
- Org Unit Information
- User Information
- User ID
- Org Defined ID
- Link Information
- Classlist including users not known to tool
- Configuration Settings
- Open as External Resource - Tick
- Grades created by LTI will be included in Final Grade - Not ticked
- Auto Create Grade Items - Not ticked
- Select "Add Org Units".
- To deploy the tool, ensure that the tickbox is marked for the desired org unit(s); then enable the correct radio button in the options column to add any applicable descendant org units.
- After a successful Deployment creation, Brightspace will expose a unique Deployment ID. Copy and paste that value and send it to the VitalSource Integration Manager along with the LTI 1.3 Tool information created before.
Note: This value can also be seen by clicking the new Deployment in the View Deployments screen.
LTI 1.3 Link Creation
The last step is creating the links to be used in the courses. There are two methods for creating links: at the Deployment level or Course level.
- Click View Links from the View Deployments screen.
- Click New Link and enter the link details.
- Enter the link information and select save and close.
- Once the link is created and shared at the Deployment level, it is available to be added in all of the courses that the deployment was shared with above. Navigate to a course, and either choose an existing module or create a new one.
- Click Existing Activities → External Learning Tools and click on the LTI 1.3 link created previously.
Creating LTI 1.3 Links from the course level
Assuming the LTI 1.3 Tool has been registered and the tool has been deployed and shared with the course, navigate to a course and either choose an existing module or create a new one.
- Click Existing Activities → External Learning Tools and scroll down to the bottom of the list.
- Click Create New LTI Link.
- Enter the Title of the link you'd like to display in the Course.
- Enter the LTI URL (Launch URL) and choose the correct LTI 1.3 Tool from the dropdown.
- Click Create and Insert.
Note: If you are interested in deeplinking into an Explore collection via your LMS, please complete the steps outlined above and then visit our Deeplinking into an Explore Collection page for more instructions.
Using the VitalSource Content Deeplinking Interface
The VitalSource Content Deeplinking Interface allows you to add deeplinks (the links to specific locations in the content) back into your D2L course.
- Create a VitalSource LTI 1.3 link that will initiate the Deeplinking flow:
- Click the View Links link from the View Deployments screen.
- Click the New Link button and enter the deeplink LTI details:
- Name: VitalSource Content Links
- URL: https://bc.vitalsource.com/adopt
- Description: VitalSource Content Links
- Type: Deeplinking Quick Link
- Width: 1200
- Height: 800
- Click Save and Close
- Navigate to the Brightspace course you want to add LTI links to.
- In the module, click the Existing Activities button.
- Click the VitalSource LTI Deeplink name, ex. VitalSource Content Links.
- This will launch the instructor to the VitalSource Content Deeplinking tool. Search for content, choose links from the Table of Contents, review the list of links and then add them back to the course.