Campus Brightspace administrators can quickly and easily create a role and system user to power the VitalSource integration and authenticate the integration with a link provided by the VitalSource team. This integration is complementary to the VitalSource LTI tool and will allow VitalSource to
- ingest Brightspace courses
- ingest Brightspace enrollments
- place VitalSource LTI links into Brightspace courses
Part 1: Creating a Role with Permissions
We recommend you create a role specifically for this integration. This will allow you to control the permissions available to VitalSource without affecting other users.
- Navigate to the Settings Menu (gear icon) and select Roles & Permissions
- Click Create/Copy
- Select Create a New Role and enter the following settings:
- Name: VitalSource
- Cascading Role: Check this box
- You do not need to select anything in Tool Behavior Options or Classlist Display Options
- Course Access Options
- Access Inactive Courses: Check this box
- Access Past Courses: Check this box
- Access Future Courses: Check this box
- Access All Course Sections: Check this box
- Access All Course Groups: Check this box
- Click Save
- On the Edit Role Interactions page, check all boxes for your Administrator role and Save. This will ensure you can search for and switch to this role as needed.
- On the Role List page, click the VitalSource role you just created and click Import Permissions
- Download the XML text file attached to this article. This contains all the permissions required by the VitalSource. See below for a complete list of permissions.
- Select the VitalSource D2L Permissions file to import. Click Next, then Import.
Part 2: Creating a System User
Now that you have created a role, you can create a system user for the integration.
- Navigate to the Settings Menu (gear icon) and select Users
- Click New User and enter the following:
- First Name: VitalSource
- Last Name: Integration
- Username: vitalsource.integration
- Role: Select the VitalSource role you created in Part 1
- Password Check the Manually set password box and enter a password of your choosing. Remember this password as will need it in a later step.
- Click Save
Part 3: Register an App
- Navigate to the Settings Menu (gear icon) and select Manage Extensibility
- Click Register an App and enter the following:
- Application Name: VitalSource
- Trusted URL: https://bc.vitalsource.com/oauth2callback
- Enable this application: Check this box
- I accept the Non-Commercial Developer Agreement: Check this box
- Click Register Application
- Copy the Application ID & Application Key and send them to the VitalSource team along with the URL for your Brightspace site.
Part 4: Authenticate the App
- The VitalSource team will send you an authentication link.
- Before clicking the link, go to your Brightspace site and make sure you are logged out of your own account.
- Click the link and enter the username and password for the user you created in Part 2.
- You have authenticated the VitalSource application!
Refer to the Permissions, Endpoints, and Data Storage & Usage sections below to ensure your integration will function as expected.
Here is a comprehensive list of the permissions required by the VitalSource app.
- Has Access to the Classlist: All boxes
- See Classlist Report: All boxes
- View Group Enrollments: All boxes
- View Course Content: All boxes
- Manage Content: All boxes
- Create and Edit Modules and Topics: All boxes
Course Management Console
- See Course Info: Course Offering, Group, Semester, Section, Department, Program, School Type, Campus
- See Tool Management: Course Offering
- Set Tool Status: Course Offering
External Learning Tools
- Manage External Learning Tools Configuration: Course Template, Course Offering, Semester, Section, Department, Program
- Launch External Learning Tool Links: Course Offering
- Manage and Delete External Learning Tool Links: Course Template, Course Offering, Semester, Section, Department, Program
- Manage External Learning Tool Providers: Course Template, Course Offering, Semester, Section, Department, Program
- Create Quicklinks from available External Learning Tools links: All boxes
- Create External Learning Tool Links from available External Learning Tool Providers: All boxes
- Manage LTI Advantage Tool Registrations: Organization
- Manage LTI Advantage Tool Deployments: Organization
- Delete External Learning Tool Links: All boxes
My Org Units
- See My Org Units: Organization, Course Template, Course Offering, Group, Semester, Section, Department, Program
- Manage My Org Units tool: Course Offering
Org Unit Editor
- Can Create and Edit Org Units: Organization
- See Org Tool Management: Organization
User Information Privacy
- See First Names: All boxes
- See Last Names: All boxes
- See Usernames: All boxes
- See Org Defined IDs: All boxes
- See Email Addresses: All boxes
- View the Users' Email Address: All boxes
- View Users' Org Defined IDs: All boxes
- View User Enrollments: All boxes
- Search for 'Instructor': All boxes
- Search for 'Student': All boxes
Here is a comprehensive list of the D2L Valence APIs used by the VitalSource app:
Data Storage & Usage
Here is a description of the Brightspace data the VitalSource app receives and how that data is stored & used.
Storage & Usage
|(course) identifier||Unique course identifier||
stored & used for identifying unique courses, communication of student opt-out decisions to publisher courseware providers when applicable
|(course) name||Course title||
stored & used for display in VitalSource Launch & Analytics and matching LMS course data to SIS course data for Inclusive Access programs
|(course) code||Course code/label||stored & used for display in VitalSource Launch & Analytics and matching LMS course data to SIS course data for Inclusive Access programs|
|(course) StartDate||Course start date||stored & used for determining when courses should be considered active in application displays and when to issue add/drop content access to students|
|(course) EndDate||Course end date||stored & used for determining when a course ends|
|(semester) identifier||Unique semester identifier||stored & used to group courses together that belong to the same semester|
|(semester) name||Semester title||stored & used to group courses together that belong to the same semester|
|(semester) code||Semester abbreviation||not stored or used|
|(department) identifier||Unique department identifier||not stored or used|
|(department) name||Department name||not stored or used|
|(department) code||Department abbreviation||not stored or used|
|(user) identifier||Unique user identifier||not stored or used|
|(user) displayName||User full name||stored & used for personalized display|
|(user) emailAddress||User email address||stored & used for matching LMS student accounts to SIS student enrollment for Inclusive Access programs|
|(user) orgDefinedId||Unique user identifier||stored & used for matching LMS student accounts to SIS student enrollment for Inclusive Access programs|
|(user) profileBadgeUrl||D2L profile bdage url||not stored or used|
|(user) profileIdentifier||D2L profile identifier||not stored or used|
|(user) role||A user's role within an org unit||stored & used to determine the appropriate user experience and access type a user should be granted|
|(organization) identifier||Unique D2L organization identifier||not stored, used to execute other D2L Valence APIs|