Acrobatiq LTI 1.3 Setup in Canvas
LMS Admin Tool Setup and Configuration
Create a New LTI 1.3 Developer Key
- In Canvas, click Admin → Developer Keys and click + Developer Key. Select the LTI Key
- Enter the following to configure the tool:
- Key Name: VitalSource Acrobatiq LTI 1.3
- Owner Email: LMS Admin email address (Use a system email address that will not break the integration if someone leaves the institution/has their account is deactivated.)
- Redirect URL: https://bc.vitalsource.com/oauth2callback
- Configure: Manual Entry
- Title: VitalSource Acrobatiq LTI 1.3
- Description: LTI 1.3 tool for Acrobatiq delivered courseware content.
- Target Link URL: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books
- OpenID Connect Initiation URL: provided by your VitalSource Integration Manager via secret link
- JWK Method: Select Public JWK URL > enter https://bc.vitalsource.com/ltia/security/jwks
3. Under Key Settings, toggle on the following:
- Can create and view assignment data in the gradebook associated with the tool.
- Can view assignment data in the gradebook associated with the tool.
- Can view submission data for assignments associated with the tool.
- Can create and update submission results for assignments associated with the tool.
- Can retrieve user data associated with the context the tool is installed in.
- Can update public jwk for LTI services.
4. Under Additional Settings, leave all fields blank except for Custom Fields:
5. Under Privacy Level, click Public.
Acrobatiq by VitalSource currently supports LTI 1.3 placements in the Link Selection option of Canvas LMS.
1. Choose “Link Selection”.
Enter the following information in the Link Selection Placement.
- Target Link URL: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books
- Select Message Type: LtiResourceLinkRequest
- Icon URL: Leave Blank
- Text: VitalSource Course Materials (or custom per instructor course)
- Selection Height: 1200
- Selection Width: 1200
2. Click Save to register the VitalSource LTI 1.3 Tool.
3. Click the new Developer Key State to On.
4. In the Details column, copy the Client ID (Developer Key number) to share with your VitalSource Integration Manger.
Note: The Key will not be utilized at at any point during these instructions.
LTI 1.3 Tool Deployment
This step creates an external tool, based off the developer key authentication settings.
- Take the copied Client ID created in the steps above.
- Navigate to Admin → Settings → Apps → View App Configurations → +
- Select Configuration Type: By Client ID
- Paste the Client ID from the step above and click Submit.
- Verify and install the VitalSource app by clicking Install.
Retrieve the Deployment ID for the VitalSource Tool
1. On the View App Configurations page, find the VitalSource tool, click the gear icon, and click Deployment ID.
2. Copy the Deployment ID to share with your VitalSource Integration Manger.
3. To complete the integration:
- you must send both the Client ID and Deployment ID to your VitalSource Integration Manager via a secret link— https://reveal.vitalsource.com/secret
- your VitalSource Integration Manager will confirm when the both the Client ID and Deployment ID are set at VitalSource.
You or your instructor(s) can then move on to Creating LTI links Inside Canvas Courses.
Creating LTI Links Inside Canvas Courses
Once you have configured the LTI app with a VitalSource integration specialist (previous section), you can begin to place links inside Canvas courses as per the following instructions.
1. Navigate to a course where you want to add an LTI link.
2. Add a module if needed.
3. Click the “+” (plus sign) next to the module and add an external tool.
4. Select External Tool.
You should see the LTI tool (app) you configured in previous section—LTI Tool Setup and Configuration.
Select it. Add the custom link provided by your VitalSource Integration Manager.
4a. Update the link from /books to the custom Acrobatiq URL.
5. Ensure that the link is published (visible to students).
7. Click Load in New Tab.
Grade Sync Setup
The LTI 1.3 app supports grade syncing between Canvas and the Acrobatiq courseware. Assessment results from within the courseware can be sent to canvas and be available in the “Grades” section inside a Canvas course.
If you require grade sync, please ensure your VitalSource Integration Manager is aware. They will need to activate it for each section where grade sync is required.
For instructor setup in each course section, please see Acrobatiq Gradebook Sync Tool instructions below.
Once grade sync has been activated for a section you can test the integration as follows:
Acrobatiq Gradebook Sync Tool
How to Access
The gradebook sync tool allows instructors to manually select the specific graded items that will be sent to the LMS. The gradebook sync feature is available for all integrations using LTI 1.3.
From within each new course section
- Navigate to Gradebook via the Profile Menu
- Select Gradebook
- Select Gradebook Sync
- To include the module or unit number in the title of each graded, item turn the Add Module or Unit Number to ON.
- To add gradebook columns, click the checkbox to the left of the item.
- To select all graded items, use Select All
- Once all items have been selected, click Create Selected Columns. All selected will be created in the LMS gradebook. Columns that have synced to the LMS gradebook will have a green checkmark in the Exists in LMS column.
- To manually sync grades between Acrobatiq and your LMS, click Sync grades for this course now.
- The title of each item will appear as it appears on the Acrobatiq Sync tool will be the exact title that is sent to the gradebook in the LMS.
- If you need to remove a column from your LMS gradebook, you must do so in your LMS.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do students see when they access Acrobatiq courseware via an LMS?
After a student clicks the link in their LMS, they will automatically be registered in their course section. The student is placed at courseware homepage.
Can I select which assignments sync to the LMS gradebook?
Yes, instructors can select a subset of gradebook items to sync to their LMS gradebook. Once gradebook items have been selected and synced, they will appear in the LMS with the correct label and point value.
Can I change the name of the assignments in my LMS?
While the name of the gradebook item/assignment can be changed in the LMS, the gradebook item name in the courseware will stay the same.
What happens when I modify an assignment’s point value in the LMS?
Yes, Instructors can use the gradebook sync tool to select the items that will sync to the gradebook.
Can I add additional assignments to the LMS gradebook?
Yes, using the Acrobatiq gradebook sync tool, you can add additional assignments. Existing scores for the assignment are sent to the LMS upon sync.
Can I remove an Acrobatiq gradebook item from the sync?
Yes. You can unselect the item in the gradebook sync tool. You will also need to remove the item from the LMS gradebook.
What happens when I remove and then re-add an item from the LMS gradebook?
After an item is removed from the LMS gradebook it can be added back by selecting the assignment for sync in the Acrobatiq gradebook sync tool. Note: the LMS may now show a duplicate line item, the disassociated original and the replacement.
Can I manually send scores?
Sync any line item changes from Acrobatiq to the LMS as defined above or resend all scores for all line items from Acrobatiq to the LMS.
How often are scores synced to the LMS?
Scores are sent as they are created in Acrobatiq. There can be a delay of about 5 mins for the score to show in the LMS after an assessment is completed.