Moodle LTI 1.3 Guide for LMS Admins
LMS Admin/Course Set Up
The instructions below were created using Moodle version 3.8. If using a different supported version, the instructions might be slightly different.
Registering LTI 1.3 Tool
- Navigate to Site Administration → Plugins → Activity Modules → External Tool → Manage Tools.
- Under Manage Tools select Configure a tool manually.
- Fill in the following data in the form:
- Tool name: VitalSource LTI 1.3
- Tool URL: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books
- Tool description: VitalSource Course Materials
- LTI version: LTI 1.3
- Public key: This will be provided by a VitalSource Integration Manager
- Initiate login URL: This will be provided by a VitalSource Integration Manager
- Redirection URI(s): https://vitalsource.com/oauth2callback
- Custom parameters: Leave blank
- Tool configuration usage: Show as a preconfigured tool when adding an external tool
- Default launch container: New window
- Content Selection URL: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books
- Content Selection URL: leave blank
- Icon URL: leave blank
- Secure Icon URL: leave blank
- IMS LTI Assignment and Grade Services: Use this service for grade sync and column management
- IMS LTI Names and Role Provisioning: Use this setting to retrieve members' information as per privacy settings
- Tool Settings: Do not use this service
- Share launcher's name with tool: Always
- Share launcher's email with tool: Always
- Accept grades from the tool: Always
- Organization ID: leave blank
- Organization URL: leave blank
- Click Save Changes
- On the Manage Tools page click the configuration icon for the VitalSource LTI 1.3 tool you just created
- Gather the LTI 1.3 configuration details for the tool you just created and send them to your VitalSource integration Manager by clicking on the configuration icon.
- Copy and paste the configuration details and send them to your VitalSource Integration Manager thru a secure one-time link process.
Acrobatiq Gradebook Sync Tool for Instructors
The gradebook sync tool allows instructors to manually select the specific graded items that will be sent to the LMS. The gradebook sync feature is available for all integrations using LTI 1.3.
How to Access
From within each new course section:
- Navigate to Gradebook via the Profile Menu
- Select Gradebook
- Select Gradebook Sync
- To include the module or unit number in the title of each graded item turn the Add Module or Unit Number to ON.
- To add gradebook columns, click the checkbox to the left of the item.
- To select all graded items, use Select All
- Once all items have been selected, click Create Selected Columns. All selected will be created in the LMS gradebook. Columns that have synced to the LMS gradebook will have a green checkmark in the Exists in LMS column.
Note: Step 5, manual syncing is not necessary, automatic syncing will occur once step 4 is complete.
- To manually sync grades between Acrobatiq and your LMS, click Sync grades for this course now.
- The title of each item will appear as it appears on the Acrobatiq Sync Tool will be the exact title that is sent to the gradebook in the LMS.
- If you need to remove a column from your LMS gradebook, you must do so in your LMS.
What do students see when they access Acrobatiq courseware via an LMS?
After a student clicks the link in their LMS, they will automatically be registered in their course section. The student is placed at courseware homepage.
Can I select which assignments sync to the LMS gradebook?
Yes, instructors can select a subset of gradebook items to sync to their LMS gradebook. Once gradebook items have been selected and synced, they will appear in the LMS with the correct label and point value.
Can I change the name of the assignments in my LMS?
While the name of the gradebook item/assignment can be changed in the LMS, the gradebook item name in the courseware will stay the same.
Can I select which gradebook items to sync to the LMS?
Yes, Instructors can use the gradebook sync tool to select the items that will sync to the gradebook.
What happens when I modify an assignment’s point value in the LMS?
The point value for the assignment is updated in both Acrobatiq and the LMS (after the next LTI launch from anyone into that course section).
Existing scores in the LMS are scaled to reflect point value change.
Can I add additional assignments to the LMS gradebook?
Yes, using the Acrobatiq gradebook sync tool, you can add additional assignments. Existing scores for the assignment are sent to the LMS upon sync.
Can I remove an Acrobatiq gradebook item from the sync?
Yes. You can unselect the item in the gradebook sync tool. You will also need to remove the item from the LMS gradebook.
What happens when I remove and then re add an item from the LMS gradebook?
After an item is removed from the LMS gradebook it can be added back by selecting the assignment for sync in the Acrobatiq gradebook sync tool.
Note, the LMS may now show a duplicate line item, the disassociated original and the replacement.
Can I manually send scores?
Yes. Sync any line item changes from Acrobatiq to the LMS as defined above.
Resend all scores for all line items from Acrobatiq to the LMS.
How often are scores synced to the LMS?
Scores are sent as they are created in Acrobatiq; there can be a delay of approximately 5 minutes for the score to show in the LMS after an assessment is completed.