Campus Brightspace administrators can quickly and easily install the VitalSource LTI tool in order to provide students and faculty seamless access to VitalSource Bookshelf and Analytics tools.
How to Install
- Log in to Brightspace and navigate to Admin Tools > External Learning Tools.
- Click on Manage Tool Providers.
- Click on New Tool Provider.
- Populate the tool provider form with the following information:
- Launch Point*
- OAuth Signature Method: HMAC-SHA1
- Secret: Provided by VitalSource.
- Check the box to use custom tool consumer information instead of the default.
- Key: Provided by VitalSource.
- Visibility: Check the box to allow users to use this tool provider.
- Security Settings: Our recommendation is to check all boxes. At a minimum, the following are required:
- Send tool consumer information to tool provider.
- Send context information to tool provider.
- Send course information to tool provider.
- Send LTI user ID and LTI role list to tool provider.
- Send user name to tool provider.
- Send user email to tool provider.
- Send system username to tool provider.
- Send system Org Defined ID to tool provider.
- Send system role to tool provider.
- Send link title to tool provider.
- Click Save and Close.
*The LTI Tool Provider can also be configured at the course level if that is the preferred method for your campus. Please note that For a direct launch to a specific book, you will need to enter the VitalSource Book Identifier (VBID) in your URL.
Set-up Steps for D2L/Brightspace
Once you've added the tool provider, follow these steps to add the external tool link properties to the LMS.
- Click Manage External Learning Tool Links.
- Click New Link.
- Enter the following properties:
Title: Enter the name for the link you’d like to display in your courses (Recommended: VitalSource Digital Materials).
Multi-course dashboard: https://bc.vitalsource.com/materials
Single-course dashboard: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books
Direct link to a specific book: https://bc.vitalsource.com/books/[VitalSourceBookIdentifier]
- Visibility: Check the “Allow users to view this link” box.
- Key/Secret: Tool consumer key/secret provided by VitalSource.
- Security Settings: Use tool provider security settings.
- Click Save and Close.
Add Links to Course Module
Once the LTI External Tool is installed, we recommend adding links to a Module within the relevant Brightspace courses. Modules allow instructors to organize the link within their course as they wish.
- Within a course in Brightspace, navigate to the Table of Contents.
- If no Modules exist, create one by providing a name for your module.
- Once in the Module where you will add the LTI Link, click Existing Activities > External Learning Tools.
- Click Create New LTI Link and select the VitalSource link.