Canvas LTI 1.1 to 1.3 Upgrade
If your LMS currently has the Barnes & Noble Education Course Materials LTI 1.1 tool configured, the steps below will guide you through the process of upgrading the existing 1.1 tool to a 1.3 configuration. Once this process is complete, the existing LTI 1.1 Course Materials link will be automatically updated to an LTI 1.3 link.
By the end of these steps, you will have generated the following values:
- A Client ID located in the Developer Key section of Canvas
- A Deployment ID located in the App Configurations page on Canvas
New LTI 1.3 Developer Key
- In Canvas, click Admin → Developer Keys and click + Developer Key. Select the LTI Key option.
- Under Key Settings enter the following to configure the tool:
- Key Name: Barnes & Noble College 1.3
- Owner Email: LMS admin’s email address
- Configure: Paste JSON
- The JSON file will be provided by your BNC Implementation contact.
- Copy and paste the text from the file provided into the LTI 1.3 Configuration box and click Save
Toggle on the following items listed under LTI Advantage Services.
- Can create and view assignment data in the gradebook associated with the tool.
- Can view assignment data in the gradebook associated with the tool.
- Can view submission data for assignments associated with the tool.
- Can create and update submission results for assignments associated with the tool.
- Can retrieve user data associated with the context the tool is installed in.
- Can update public jwk for LTI services.
Click the new LTI 1.3 Developer Key to On and copy the Client ID in the Details column for the newly created LTI Developer Key.
LTI 1.3 Tool Deployment
- Copy the Client ID created in the steps above.
- Navigate to Admin → Settings → Apps → View App Configurations → + App.
- Select Configuration Type: By Client ID
- Paste the Client ID from the Developer Key step above and click Submit.
- Verify and install the Barnes & Noble Education 1.3 app by clicking Install.
Retrieve the Deployment ID for the Barnes & Noble Education 1.3 Tool
- On the View App Configurations page, find the Barnes & Noble Education 1.3 tool, click the gear icon, and click Deployment ID.
- Copy the Deployment ID and send both the Client ID and Deployment ID to the BNC Implementation contact to complete the integration.
Add BNC LTI Links to Courses
Adding Links to Course Modules
- When in a Course, click the Modules link in the Course Navigation.
- In the Module where you’d like to add the link, click the + button.
- In the Add [Item Type] To: drop-down menu, select External Tool.
- Find the BNC external tool and review the following:
- URL: This will pre-populate based on how the LTI External App was configured.
- Page Name: This will pre-populate based on the name of the LTI External App, but it can be edited.
- Click Add Item.
To complete the Canvas API Integration - Roster Exchange Setup, please visit the Canvas API Integrations Roster Exchange Setup page.
Canvas Merges + Cross-listing Mapping
Please use the Canvas + Cross-listing Mapping template to communicate any merged or cross-listed courses.
Registering a new LTI 1.3 Tool: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16729-42141110178
Deploying a LTI 1.3 Tool: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16730-42141110273