Reasons to update to LTI 1.3
VitalSource is committed to providing clients with the resources they need to provide their customers with world-class security. That is why we are helping institutions upgrade to LTI 1.3.
LTI 1.3 is more secure than earlier LTI versions of custom and non-LTI options - which contained security vulnerabilities. It provides modernized options and industry-best security needed to protect the personally identifiable information (PII) that is shared between platforms and tools .
LTI 1.3 offers:
- Improved security based on OAuth2 and JSON Web Tokens which makes security updates safer and easier.
- Improved documentation and directions for implementation.
Since LTI 1.3 is built on LTI 1.1 it provides an easier upgrade path which allows for simpler adoption and requires a smaller learning-curve.
LTI 1.3 improves existing services as it allows new extensions to be layered on the existing launch mechanism. Currently, there are three extensions available in LTI 1.3 and more planned. This bundle of extensions evolves outside the LTI specification and is called LTI Advantage .
- Deep Linking Service makes it easier to provide links to specific content. This was named content item previously.
- Name and Role Provisioning makes it easier to obtain a list of course participants and roles and send defined information to the learning tools. This extension was named membership service previously.
- Assignment and Grade Service makes it easier to pass grade information between the tool and learning platform. This extension was named the outcome service previously.
Click on the links below to learn more about LTI 1.3
Unicon, Inc: Get to Know LTI® Advantage (YouTube video; 8:56)
Blackboard: Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
Moodle: LTI 1.3 Support
D2L Brightspace: LTI Advantage (v1.3)
 “Trusted exchange of Student Data: Why Platforms and Tools Should Adopt to LTI 1.3” LMSGlobal.org, n.d., https://www.imsglobal.org/why-platforms-and-tools-should-adopt-lti-13
 Unicon, Inc. “Get to Know LTI® Advantage.” YouTube video, 8:56, 2019. https://youtu.be/BjtoMk-1KcY