Manually Upload Your Courseware to VitalSource Manage (Video and Instructions)
This page contains an instructional video as well as written instructions on how to manually upload courseware to Manage in four simple steps:
Create an Asset Record through VitalSource Upload
Create an asset in Manage via the Upload platform using our metadata template. The metadata template can be found in the profile menu in VitalSource Upload.
- To begin, Login to the Upload platform with your Manage credentials.
If you don’t have access to Manage, contact our Publisher Operations group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On the homepage, click the profile icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Then select Download Metadata Template.
Within the Metadata Template, you can refer to the Instructions and Validation tabs for information on required fields, field descriptions, BISAC and country codes, and best practices.
- Entering a VBID into Column A will highlight other required fields in red.
- Complete the required fields in the template.
Save the document, then either drag and drop the files onto the table or click the Add Content button to choose the file or files from your computer.
A “Spreadsheet Detected” popup will appear for you to choose whether you want to Create Metadata or Update Metadata. Choose one option for each Excel sheet.
Then click process.
Note: Be sure to upload the completed metadata template before adding your new ePub or PDF content.
We also recommend using a new template for each batch of new assets to avoid any complications that may arise from copying and pasting into the same template.
You will receive an email with the status of your asset record creation. If you do not receive the confirmation email within an hour, verify that you used the most recent template for the upload. Also, double check your spam email for confirmation. For assistance, contact our Publisher Operations group at email@example.com
Upload a PDF or ePub File
The inventory system requires at least a one-page document for your courseware product to be available in our store or through our distributor channel partners.
If this is a courseware-only product, called Online Resource, please add at least a one-page PDF or a simple ePUB. This file will be delivered to readers in Bookshelf. If this is a courseware bundle – referred to as an Online Resource Bundle - add the full eBook component.
Drag and drop your courseware content onto the table or click the Add Content button to choose the file or files from your computer.
Upload will attempt to match your file name to an existing VBID. If you wish to use a different VBID for the content you are delivering, click the X button next to the VBID and type in your own.
- In the Action drop-down box, select “Build as VBK”.
- Then click the checkboxes next to any content you wish to submit.
Then click the upload button at the bottom of the page.
You will see a progress bar indicating the upload is proceeding.
Note: The Upload platform supports:
- a maximum of 50 files at a time
- a maximum file size of 1.5 GB per file.
For assistance with formatting and uploading your courseware content, please refer to our free ePub3 and PDF submission guides located at VitalSource.com. Please note, a Bookshelf account is required to view these resources.
Add a list of Access Codes
- To add a list of Access Codes, Log in to Manage.
- From the homepage click “Manage Access Codes.”
From the Manage Access Codes, users can download the access codes template, import access codes, and remove access.
Users can also arrive at the Manage Access Codes page from courseware by selecting the “access code” tab.
Please note, when accessed through courseware, the Manage Access Codes page contains information related to that specific courseware.
- Once you have uploaded he Access Codes Template, or imported your access codes, you will receive an email when your codes have finished processing.
Add the Link to your Courseware Product
- To add the link to your courseware product, email the courseware login URL to our Publisher Operations group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will hear back from us once your asset has been updated.
Note: VitalSource offers API integration and on-demand code creation as an alternative to access code banks. Contact your Publisher Success Manager to learn more.